Dynamic HTTP Links via Groov View

Wanted to open txt files on the EPIC Drive via weblink (or anything for that matter) based on a string variable.
This will allow us to display Run Reports after each operator (or selected through a list of previous runs) - which they can print OR more importantly save via the web browser (once open the save as command works nice to transfer the text file to the computer selecting the command).

This works if we embed the command into Web Page Navigator gadget, for example:
10.10.10.100/manage/api/v1/files/unsecured/rpc/get-file/RECEIPT/RUN_1_20210225_21:45:59.TXT
This opens up a new page with the report.

Is there a way to display this information (in the form of a string so we can select the files to be viewed) that will allow us to open the link in another web tab.

Iā€™ve made it work in a hokey way - by using the text box gadget looking at the string - then right clicking it (because the contents of the string is highlighted) to navigate ā€œopen in new tabā€. Same thing is true to just putting the text on the graphic but its harder to highlight and right click.
Though it sort of works - this is not exactly a good way of doing it.

Any other way to transfer selected files (from EPIC Hard Drive) via Groov View by way of PACControl to the computer initiating the command. The goal is an easy way to download the selected text files.
Any thoughts, suggestions or other ways to do it (without going into Groov Manage or Shell Access) via Groov View.

Ticket #86593 is that feature request, its been in a little while.
Because the text gadget is actually an SVG object (more like an image than hard text from what I can gather), you canā€™t make it a URL.
I know the dev wants to make changes in this area for a slew of reasons, we just have be super careful to not break an existing projects.

I am looking at ways to transfer files from EPIC to PC for another customer, but most involve some sort of configuration (one time setup) in shell. I think that makes it a non-starter for your application?

@Beno Wanted to revisit this item from last year.
Any progress on this feature or ideas (beyond using the shell) ?

My goal is to be able to download files (ie. run data, report, etc.) that were generated by the EPIC (and stored within the EPIC) via a button (web interface) in Groov View to allow me to download that file.

I tried with node red (http command) which worked but you need to have node red privilege to access the file which defeats the purpose of preventing Kiosk type users (with just Groov View Access) from getting into Groov Manage or Node Red configurations.

I donā€™t think this feature has had much time on it - is that correct @Jonathan_Fischer

In the mean time, another thought I hadā€¦ how about a groov View button to run the report, or if its ready, a text area where they enter their email and click ā€˜sendā€™ and the text file / report / data gets emailed to them? PAC Control can handle that smoothly. (Or is the unit not got a gateway to the Internet?)

No, this hasnā€™t been prioritized yet.

Thanks for the update.

Regarding the email idea - I thought of that after our original conversation but for the system(s) that prompted the original inquiry they donā€™t have (or cannot have) Internet access.

With node red can you have access to ā€¦/node-red/ui/ or other url links (setup via http in node) without allowing access to ā€¦/node-red/ flow configuration?

I believe I can setup dynamic downloads using the node red dashboard (changing the files being loaded though logic) BUT we cannot have the end user accessing the node red configuration. If so, I can call ā€¦/node-red/ui/ from Groov View which would let them download the required files via the node-red dashboard.

These systems are OEM systems that the end users cannot have access to Groov Manage, Node-Red configuration, etc. We pretty much can do everything by transferring information to a USB Memory stick (which we are doing now) but being able to download directly to the interfaced PC makes it much more user friendly (especially getting reports after a run, etc. with the EPIC located within an enclosure)

Let me know about node-red access (limited to only the dashboard) and/or any other ideas that come to mind.

In a word. Yes.
Check the third last bullet point:

This was a strongly requested feature for RIO since they cant run groov View. Because we added it for RIO, EPIC picked up the feature as well.

Thanks - forgot that dashboard only was added - will give it a try.

1 Like