Reed switch with Rio

I have a float switch (which is actually a type of reed switch) shown below that says on the label:

240 VAC, 0.14A
120 VAC, 0.28A
120 VDC, 0.07A
24 VDC, 0.28A

and there are 2 wires to connect. I cannot locate any wiring instructions for this switch, but my non-electrical mind says something like the SNAP ICD5-SW, which “supplies 15 volts of power to an external dry contact switch and senses switch closure” would work. I’ve got a newly freed up Rio to use and am wondering if I supply this switch with 24V (from the Rio or elsewhere), then can I use the Rio to detect the switch closure? FWIW, I have a 24VDC power supply powering the Rio. If the answer is yes, which Input on the Rio would I use?

It is even easier than that!

The RIO has a switch input type… so it will provide the ~10 vDC required to detect the switch status.
Here are the specs.

Here is the wiring diagram.

Just select Switch input as the I/O type.

Its very simple.
You just wire the two wires from the switch to the channel input terminals on the RIO, select the type, hit save and you are up and running.

BTW, all these screen shots came from a RIO.
Just dig your way into the I/O Reference menu from here;

Lets know how you go.
(Also, lets know if you need a hand moving the data out of the RIO).

1 Like

Perfect, thank you. I will hook this all up tomorrow and report back. I have a good comfort level getting the data in & out using Node-RED. This particular application is a heated tank with two solenoids feeding fluids into the tank, two float switches and two Type K thermocouples. I think I can do it all with one Rio.

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: Driving DC and AC solenoids