None of the overrides to Windows Security did anything for our system. I performed all six, but to no avail.
So I’ve still been running Google Earth Pro in the background, and just launching PAC Display Basic over and over until it finally launches correctly. And while that is a pain, it’s been running fine once that song and dance was performed.
Now, after the most recent update to Windows 10 Pro, nothing makes it work. It takes an average of 16 seconds for each “pass” or “update” of the various indicators and charts.
At this point, replacing our “new” PC with a different new PC seems to be the only way we may get this all to work properly.
Edit to add:
I swiped a different PC from our office, and swapped it in for the one we were using. Unfortunately, it’s very similar to the one we were using. These are all HP Elitedesk systems. What we really need is a completely different PC, I think.
Nonetheless, it was running a different revision of Win 10, and although I did let it update itself, it seems to be working at least as well as our other one did before it updated. This “new” one is now running 10.0.18363.
I’m running Google Earth Pro in the background, and I’ve set all of the exceptions as well as setting windows security to ignore the three directories that hold our OptoDisplay projects, our OptoControl projects, and the one folder I created to hold various log files.
At some point, when the plant is not operating, I’ll try running it without Google Earth Pro running to see if it works properly without it.
I wasn’t there, but overnight, Google Earth apparently crashed, and that made Optodisplay stop, as well.
Texting back and forth with the operator at the plant, I had him completely power the PC down, and power back up, at which point he tried to launch Earth, and it would not run, presenting him with an error, and eventually with a menu of things to try to “repair” it. At this point, he had Optodisplay Runtime running, and it was, again, running slowly.
When he finally got Earth to run, Optodisplay suddenly started updating fast again. So running Google Earth concurrently seems to be what is needed to “prod” the system into updating the display at a reasonable pace.