Touchscreen monitor

I want to use a touchscreen monitor with the latest install of PAC Project.
Is there anything special I need to look for in a touchscreen monitor or will any screen do the job?
I was hoping to use a 22" or 24" monitor.

Thanks
Paul

What hardware / computer will it be attached to?
I think that’s the most important thing, PAC Project does not have any touch drivers as such, its all down to the base OS to do that part.

Hi, thank for your reply.
I will be using Windows 10, so it should have touchscreen drivers?

Depends on the monitor.
Talk with the company you intend to buy from and they should get you running.

With the EPIC 1.5.0 release about a month ago, does anyone have recommendations for a touchscreen HDMI monitor (either projected capacitive (PCAP) monitors or resistive touchscreen)? Knowing the make & model would be very helpful.

I would stick with the list of supported monitors from page 85 of the users guide.

Opto 22 has tested and approves the following monitors for use with GRV-EPIC-PR1:
The following touchscreen monitors are manufactured by American Industrial Systems (AIS) and are listed by AIS part number–
•ITM-TMNA0U-12AC-000C—12.1 inch, HDMI input, 9–36 VDC powered
•ITM-TMNA0U-21AC-000C—21.5 inch, widescreen, HDMI input, 9–36 VDC powered
Note that for these two monitors, 640 x 480 resolution is not supported. For more information about American Industrial Systems (AIS) monitors, visit the AIS website at www.aispro.com.

•SL-LCD-17A-RTOUCH-2 by SuperLogics. For more information about this monitor, visit the SuperLogics website at www.superlogics.com.

•HIS-UM15-CTBH by Hope Industrial Systems. For more information about this monitor, visit the Hope Industrial Systems website at www.hopeindustrial.com.

•Dell 2314T, a 23-Inch Touchscreen LED-lit Monitor by Dell.

1 Like

Any plans to test with Advantech touchscreen monitors?

We have tested one Adventech monitor and found it did not work (resistive touch screen), it has some odd way of loading both touch and move events at the same time.

EDIT, thanks for asking, its helpful to know what screens people are looking to use.

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Hi, I tryed a HOPE industrial 17" monitor, resistive touch, no luck, can’t find the above mentioned model HIS-UM15-CTBH.
We used HOPE due warranty and exchange terms, their equipment is truly industrial rated.
The PCAP seems to be the way to go.

1 Like

Sorry to revive an old topic though I think the subject continues to be relevant. I’ve also seen it on multiple threads.

I have a project coming up that will need a panel mount industrial touchscreen connected to the EPIC HDMI port. I know there is a list in the user’s guide but I don’t know if that list has been updated since it was published. Does Opto 22 have a more up to date list of touchscreens that will work with the EPIC HDMI that’s not in the user’s guide.

Also, do you think touchscreen models that are in the same family as those listed in the user’s guide would also work. For example, the SL-LCD-17A-RTOUCH-2 (17" resistive) by SuperLogics is in the guide. Would the SL-LCD-19A-RTOUCH-2 (19" resistive) work as well? I’m inferring from the part number that they are in the same family, just different sizes.

Thanks!

No problem digging up old topics, that’s the great thing about these Forums, they have long life!
Also, its good to get threads like bumped now and then as new eyes see it.

If anyone has a monitor they have tested and are happy with. Please drop a post!

Opto Docs department does their best to keep all docs updated at each firmware release (since the docs are now part of the firmware).
So, the list you see is current and up to date.

The core issue is that the monitor part is easy, good quality HDMI cable, no funny resolutions and you should be fine.
The tricky bit is the Linux USB driver for the touch screen.
If you have a 30 day return, then trying something from the same family would be worth a try for sure, but as you know, even the same ‘family’ can have different software requirements.

Lets know how you get on.

We were thinking of using panel PCs or monitors from that company: https://industrialmonitordirect.com/

I was not aware of the issues that come with HDMI/USB touch connections not working. Has anyone used those with any issues?

Im thinking using a Panel PC mitigates those issues, what are some complications when using panel PCs?

Hi there, welcome to the forums!

A touch screen is going to use the EPIC CPU/GPU and groov View that is built in to the EPIC, so its nice to use the Linux computer that is already running your process with out needing another network drop or software updates.

A panel PC will need to run Windows if you want to use groov View and you will need to buy a copy of groov View for Windows, so you will need to support Windows and the groov View application.
Not a huge deal, but yeah, just know that you are supporting another computer, license etc with a Windows panel PC.
Or, your panel PC can just run something like Android or Chrome and then you can just point it to the IP address of the EPIC and view its groov View in the browser of the panel PC… So options… always options.

To answer your question then, yes, a panel PC mitigates those issues but introduces other issues.

1 Like

For those that need a full Tscreen computer Cl1 Div2 in direct sunlight NIT=1000 then these expensive 19" AISPRO HSXA0U-19SC-HIEX which have glass (PCT/PCAP) for chemicals and you can use gloves.

Just go the following touch screen from SuperLogics and it appears to work. Touch functions work as well. I have a PR1 version 3.4.0-b.55.

SL-LCD-19A-RTOUCH-2
19" LED Monitor with 5-Wire Resistive Touch Screen - 1280 x 1024 Resolution, 350 NITS Brightness

Has anyone installed a remote (not in the same enclosure) touchscreen monitor that connects directly to the EPIC (HDIM/USB)? I’m curious to know what is the maximum distance between the monitor and EPIC. I figure the USB would be the limiting factor which is 16 feet(?) but I wasn’t sure.

Thanks.

I don’t have a link on me, but I know of one customer that found a HDMI/USB extender over cat 5 cable.
They ran over 50 feet and are very happy with the result.

1 Like

Good idea. I hadn’t considered that. Thanks!

Worth a mention.