SOFTPAC making use of the PC COM Ports

Hi,

Can Sofpac send and receive data from the PC COM ports much like we reference Comm ports with R2s and S1s usinf the ser: comm handle?

Thanks

Pons

No. SoftPAC on a Windows PC does not have the USB or serial port drivers loaded…
But… Two things; Firstly, if not already, please subscribe to OptoNews Secondly, what is your use case? We are interested in hearing about the need to use serial ports and SoftPAC.

Hi Ben,

We were looking at it more a test tool for serial device communication using PAC Control as the application platform where you can test serial devices interfaces (scanners, power meters etc) without having to assemble a rack controller or if you don’t have an S1 on hand,

We do have some options coming in the future (see Ben’s hint), so we’re very interested in your use cases and devices you’re connecting.

In the meantime, do you have any EBs on hand? You can use an EB as a Ethernet to Serial converter w/a serial module…

Just thought I’d add my 2 cents here. I’d love it if the SoftPAC could use serial PC serial ports and Ethernet ports. I currently have to use another HMI package when a project needs MODBUS (ASCII/RTU or TCP) for data acquisition. I can get a PC & HMI runtime for less cost then the Groov. Development is a bit more time wise, but I make more on labor then selling hardware.

Yeah. Ok. Thanks for the extra details. I see what you mean… @Dave_D Coming soon, a really sweet solution…

Ben, any update on this?

Urgent request, i have a stirrer (IKA Ministar 80 Control) with a micro usb type b interface. I require to control the RPM and read the RPM from PAC Display Runtime Pro.

The stirrer only come with a “micro usb type b” to “usb type a” cable which use to connect to the computer.

How should i communicate and which converter should i use to connect it to the SNAP-SCM-232 module?

Urgent!!

That sounds like the Stirrer only comes with a USB interface, not serial.
Sorry, but we just don’t have any sort of USB interface. Not many PLC’s do (none that I can think of).
Does the software on the PC have some sort of API? Thats the only thing I can think of… Run the software on the PC and interface with that (if the software provides some sort of third party connectivity).

Hi Ben,

I managed to communicate by using visual basic 6.
Since the stirrer was able to communicate via hyperterminal, i used vb6 to replace the hyperterminal and pass the value to opto22 scratchpad.

Thanks
Chen

1 Like

Also, sometimes you can use the USB port on a router/switch to act as a converter or buy a USB->Ethernet converter and then create session in SoftPac and connect via Ethernet if they have any docs on the command response portion.

i see. Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate.

Hello! I found this old thread – I have the same issue where my client wants a quick/cheap/compact solution to read serial data from an HPLC pump into a computer and log it continuously. I thought of SoftPAC with a USB-to-RS232 cable and PAC Display historian, but not sure how to set up the Comm handle… I think the HPLC pump can only be a slave – it won’t just send data continuously, you have to ask for it each time.

What was your REALLY SWEET SOLUTION???

I’m sure there’s a more complicated way to do this with obsolete Window products (Hyperterminal) and VB or something, but we already have code written for said pump in PAC Control (with an R1 and SCM-232 module). It’s almost like a TCP connection, but I don’t have a port number… "tcp:127.0.0.1:port###??? Thanks!

groov EPIC and RIO.
You pulled up such an old thread… we can now run USB ports and groov View on an EPIC.
Tell me that’s not a REALLY SWEET SOLUTION!

Well… yes… for the cheap bargain price of minimum $2125 for the PR1, Chassis, power supply? Or am I missing something :frowning: Or I can get an S1 controller for $1500 + a little 24 vdc PS. We are on a tight (almost non-existent) budget.

RIO and Node-Red is cheaper.

2 Likes

This is already running and you also want to access this serial port/data elsewhere too?

The SNAP-SCM-232 through the R1 is basically a TCP to serial gateway (you can look up the TCP port in PAC Manager), but of course the R1 and something else shouldn’t try to use it at the same time.

Sorry, that was confusing – we have a lot of these pumps and tend to use them all over the place for very small-scale research (as opposed to actually using them for an HPLC). So this is a different install and application than the one connected to the R1/SCM-232. We already have the Serial Comm code written for PAC Control to continuously read the flow and pressure measurements, and start/stop/set setpoints.

This.

Use a RIO and a powered USB hub.
You can run 4+ serial adapters and Node-RED.

1 Like

You might be able to use a TCP to RS-232 device if you want to use SoftPAC. Cheaper ones don’t handle hardware flow control, but if you are only using Tx Rx and reference, they will probably work.

I have tried this solution “Comm Tunnel Pro” and it works well with SoftPAC, there is also the version as windows service, Comm Tunnel Pro - Serial Port Tool - Software to connect COM TCP/IP UDP

3 Likes