SNAP-ODC-32-SRC to SNAP-UDC-HDB Ribbon Cable Alternative

My goal is to have the SNAP-UDC-HDB near the SNAP-ODC-32-SRC module, within 6" -12" inside the same electrical enclosure. Opto 22 sells the cables at 6ft lengths, this works great when you have the PAC Rack separated from the SNAP-UDC-HDB at that distance. I researched for an alternate method of connecting them. Turns out that a 40 pin hard drive cable works! I purchased 12" length cables for $6 each. Note the cable must have pin 20 open, not filled in for it to work. Attached is how I connected them, note the red indicator on the cable for the correct orientation for connections.

1 Like

Glad you found a length that will work.

If you want to build a custom length, you can just buy the ribbon cable from anywhere (or the 6 foot long one from Opto and then cut it with a sharp knife or shears) and the connectors are very affordable and common.
Then just buy the crimp tool. Not a lot of money and they get a good amount of use around here…

3 Likes

Here is what our hardware layout of our Opto 22 box with 32 ODC-SRC/32 AIV and breakout boards. At the top of the box is 48 relays needed because the breakout boards only handle 250 mA, our solenoids require 500 mA to operate. Our 48 sensors mA are less than the max for the 32 AIV module.

2 Likes

Wow. Thanks for the photo.
Thats an amazing amount of I/O in a very small footprint. Well done!

Thanks Beno, Plastic electrical enclosure, 14" x 16" x 8"

We use the SNAP-ODC-32-SNK with SNAP-HD-G4F6 cable to two G4 digital racks for similar applications. Is there any future for this setup in the EPIC line, ie. GRV-ODCSNK-24 module so we can connect to a G4PB24 rack? Currently only GRV-ODCSRC-24 available.