Recommended path for I2C - groov RIO

I have read the recent topic’s of I2C for a specific sensor. But, I did not see any general I2C recommendations. I read how the ethernet version is clunky.

It sounds like USB would be the way with a multiplexer.

Happy to experiment, but, wanted to see if anyone has a general solution

Thanks in advance

Hi Alessandro. Welcome to the forums!

I’m not sure we have a ton of customers using I2C for starters and then there is the fact that an I2C device can be just about anything, so it would be really hard to come up some ‘general recommendations’.

The one thing I can say for sure is that if you are going to use a USB adapter to communicate with your I2C device, it must mount in Linux as a ttySer or ttyUSB (serial) device. This is critical for EPIC/RIO as only FTDI USB to serial driver has been installed in our kernel.
No other USB devices (well, a few Wifi and most USB memory sticks for data logging) will mount.
For example, even a dual port FTDI USB to serial adapter will not mount as we did not include the dual serial devices via one USB device driver.
So the USB to serial must be one to one.

That’s about the best ‘general’ advice I have a this point.

Of course lets know what I2C device and interface you are looking at using (and I would not discount an Ethernet adapter so quick for reasons you just read here).

Hi Beno,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking to connect a device like a MPU6050 for instance on the groov RIO. Which may be in series or single. I am trying to see if I can directly connect to the groov RIO channels or do I need to have an adapter first. Apologies, on the simplicity.

Ooooo, that looks like fun.
The very first question I have is what sort of ‘speed’ are you looking for?
That will set a lot of the options either on or off the table.

I am trying to sample it at 200Hz. Do you have any recommendations, based on that?

Ouch. 200 samples per second over serial into a RIO?
I think you need to rethink that approach.

Whats the end goal here? You want to data log that many samples?

Trying to measure a few seconds, analyze, rinse and repeat. No storage all passive data,

Are you planing on using Python or some other language for the ‘analyze’ stage?

node-red with some FFT

Sounds like you are way more ahead of the curve in Node-RED than my experience with it stretches.
I had no idea that it could analyze data at that rate.

Lets know how you get on with the project.

Thinking about this, I think my initial math was off?

6 x 4 digit numbers (000.0) is 5 characters at 200 times a second?

I decided I am going to experiment with the analog out one for now. This way I can easily ingest it and figure out my algorithms from there.

Thanks for your help!