PAC Display crashing

Attached a error message which pops up randomly and crashes the pac display. While the system is running.
Have anyone encountered this issue? How to resolve this?

That’s some hot water…

That isn’t one I’ve seen before - if you don’t hear much from anyone here, you are probably going to ask support.

I suspect that support is your best bet, but I recommend that you set up a cmd prompt to do a ping -t of the IP address of the I/O / controller and see if it times out at the same time as the crash.
If so, you know it’s a network issue. (Mind you, PAC Display should gracefully recover just the same).

1 Like

@naren: It may not be super helpful, but there have been times in the past when I’ve had trouble with an I/O scanner and I’ve changed the setting in PAC Display Configurator to read the I/O through the controller rather than using the scanner on the PC running PAC Display Runtime. May be something to try, though I don’t love taxing the controller more than necessary for scanning I/O.

Also, it won’t help your issue in any way, but I love the feel of this PAC Display screen. I think the word I’d use for the design is that it’s very opinionated. It’s not even so much that I love the design aesthetic, but it feels very cohesive and very well done.

2 Likes

@naren It looks like PAC Display is shutting down because it can’t find the OptoOPCServer running on the same machine as itself. The OptoOPCServer is like the middle-man between PAC Display and the I/O Units. What happens when you restart PAC Display Runtime?

PAC Display starts up an instance of the OptoOPCServer when the Runtime starts. So that might get you back up and running. But if you keep getting that message after restarting you may want to reinstall PAC Project or contact Product Support.

3 Likes

I’ve had an issue with OPC Server after an upgrade attempt and an uninstall and reinstall took care of it - so if you’ve upgraded recently you may want to try that (after an OS reboot).

1 Like

Once I restart the pac display it starts running normally. This happens once in a while. If older pac projects are present in the system (10.3,10.4) will that cause this issue? Will try reinstalling the pac project.

Usually when we get network issue the display graphics turns into green. Plus, we also have a clock on pac display to show whether controller is active or not. Whenever we receive this error pop-up, It freezes the whole pac display more like not responding. After I reopen pac display it starts back normally.

So a ping -t will show dropped packets and let you know if the network is dropping out and for how long.
Right now you don’t know since you only have one indicator, PAC Display.