PAC Control recent files

Not really a code sample as such, but a handy tip if you need to know it.

When you click on the ‘File’ menu item in PAC Control, the drop down shows the usual, Save Strategy, Save Strategy As and so on.
At the bottom of the drop down menu is a list of the last 10 strategy’s that you have opened or saved.
Most of the time its really handy, giving you quick access to strategies you have worked on in the past.

But what if you want to clear out the list and ‘start again’?
Well, here is how to do just that…

On XP, look for the following file:

[B]c:\windows\control.pro.ini [/B](or [B]c:\windows\control.basic.ini[/B])

Way at the bottom, you should see a section called [B][Recent File List][/B]. Just remove the whole section, but not the “[Recent File List]” part.
Be [B]VERY SURE[/B] not to mess with any other parts or settings in that file!
In fact, it might be a good idea to back up the file before you attempt to remove the recent file list… just in case you slip…

Enjoy your nice clean menu (well, at least until you open 10 different strategies at any rate).

Ben.

Ben, I gather that the file list is now not stored in any txt file, rather only stored externally in the registry.

I found the “Recent File List” key under “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Opto22\PAC Control Professional” registry folder which does contain the last 10 file names. Therefore I deleted the content of file 1 and it causes pac control to start a new list and ignore the other file names still stored in the registry. By deleting the first key, then closing registry, open Pac Control Pro, then open an existing strategy, then save and close it, the registry will now reflect the latest file name in file 1, but the other file names in files 2 through 10 will not show up in Pac Control even though the registry still shows then other 9 file names. To prevent confusion I guess one could delete all of the key values and then the registry would agree with the Pac Control recent file list.

One reason for doing this is if you named folders for different versions of same file which due to space limitations, the entire path does not show up in the recent file list. As a result, one can find that they have accidently opened the wrong strategy and not realize it until later…

The other reason I find is to prevent a customer from opening the wrong strategy, this is a big one, as it much simpler to tell someone over phone support to open the file in the list (the only filename) and you can be sure they have the right one.