NIC level data on PAC Controllers. How to see it? - old forum post

Fernando

Joined on 10-10-2008
Posts 14

On the M4SENET-100 card, one could see the details of the ststus of the NIC, sessions being used, characters received, etc. With the more powerfull PAC and integrated NICs that feature which in many cases helped diagnose network problems is now gone.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get that level of information on the NICs at the PAC-S1, PAC-S2, PAC-R1, PAC-R2 and PAC-Ethernet Brains?

06-09-2009, 3:29 PM

ben orchard

Joined on 12-08-2004
Posts 33
Re: Good old things that have been left behind

Hi Fernando and others,

This is a great question, and one that I have asked myself a few times, so I thought I would get to the bottom of the matter…

The good news is that all the old information and much, much more is still available, and you can, depending on the software you run, see it much more clearly than ever before.

The key to understanding how to do this is to know that rather than the old telnet interface, Opto 22 have moved all their NIC status into the SNMP area.
SNMP stands for Simple Network Management Protocol.
Using an SNMP browser you can see all the old information plus all the new information that we have exposed.

You might already have some software that can look at this area, and if so, you can just jump right in, do a ‘walk’ and see what we have to offer.
If not, one that I found and rather like is this one here;
http://www.dopplervue.com/dvue5.php
The reason I like it is because it will trend the numbers for you, its got both a small graph and a large one… and its free.
You have to give your email address and name so they can email you a download link, but that’s not all that unusual these days.
(dopplerVUE is not affiliated with Opto 22 in anyway, its just one SNMP browser that Google found for me. There are others out there.)

Dont forget, if your SNMP browser wants a ‘MIB’ (Management Information Base), we have both version 1 and version 2 available for download off our website from this page here;
http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_cat_sc.aspx?qs=100510081056

It is good to see that the good things have not only not been left behind, but that we have added a lot of extra good things too them.

Ben.