Network data use monitoring via Node-RED flow - Example flow (MongoDB issue)

We had a customer question / request come in as follows;

We have several RIOs in the field, remotely monitoring a system for us. They are each on their own cellular router. The data usage on the routers is too high for what we are doing.
We are running a Node-Red application, and I assume it may be a high possibility that something is reaching out to the web in the background.
We are just trying to figure out what is doing it. Is there a way to monitor the traffic on the RIO to watch the upstream and downstream traffic?

So with that, here are some thoughts and a ā€˜starterā€™ flow to start chipping away at this.

Its a great question and as we see more edge devices deployed on things like cellular (and soon networks like Elonā€™s SpaceX Starlink) we are going to need a way to keep costs and traffic in check and monitored.

In regard to Node-RED phoning home in the background, I have never seen that, or heard of it.
That said, there are so many (~2500) nodes, who knows what combinations a given user has installed or is using in some wayā€¦ So it canā€™t be ruled out.

The other thing that comes to mind is how to monitor use without increasing use?
That one I donā€™t have a clean answer to. If you send the data use count via MQTT it would be pretty lightweight, but it will still add to the count. If you look at it locally via a Node-RED dashboard, when you look at that dash with a browser, you will add to the count. If you use groov View, it will add to the count.

With that said, here is an example flow to start looking at the data and hopefully start a conversation in this thread about how to address this customers core question.

First up, you need to install the Linux network monitoring node.
Open the menu and click on Manage Pallet, then click on the Install tab and search for the node-red-contrib-linux-network-stats (node) - Node-RED node.

Once you have that node installed, the example flow I put together is very simple.

I simply chose the 15 seconds inject time at random. Its a pretty course time sample, but it is easily adjusted for your use.
We read the Tx and Rx data from the Linux OS and then convert the returned bytes per second to something a little more human, megabytes per day. In the same function block we also keep the original rate by moving it into its own message payload.
The debug then shows both the daily and the per second data payloads.

Here is the flow;

[{"id":"c92db70a.f0d04","type":"network_stats","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"Network Rx","receivedBytesSec":true,"transmittedBytesSec":false,"x":430,"y":140,"wires":[["acecfe87.6b0208"]]},{"id":"a0b3aed4.1a77c","type":"inject","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"15 seconds","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"15","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","x":140,"y":180,"wires":[["c92db70a.f0d04","c5b5f223.3bbc18"]]},{"id":"253bdc30.e44954","type":"debug","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":870,"y":140,"wires":[]},{"id":"c5b5f223.3bbc18","type":"network_stats","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"Network Tx","receivedBytesSec":false,"transmittedBytesSec":true,"x":430,"y":200,"wires":[["e6fb9750.e4e3e"]]},{"id":"acecfe87.6b0208","type":"function","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"bps to Mb/day","func":"// move the orignal message into its own payload\nmsg.rxbps = msg.payload;\n\n// covert the slightly unfriendly bps to mb per day\nmsg.payload = msg.payload / 11.574;\n// reduce to 1 decimal place\nmsg.payload = Math.round(msg.payload*10)/10;\nreturn msg;","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","x":680,"y":140,"wires":[["253bdc30.e44954"]]},{"id":"e6fb9750.e4e3e","type":"function","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"bps to Mb/day","func":"// move the orignal message into its own payload\nmsg.txbps = msg.payload;\n\n// covert the slightly unfriendly bps to mb per day\nmsg.payload = msg.payload / 11.574;\n// reduce to 1 decimal place\nmsg.payload = Math.round(msg.payload*10)/10;\nreturn msg;","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","x":680,"y":200,"wires":[["d4e0045a.4638f"]]},{"id":"d4e0045a.4638f","type":"debug","z":"baf6cc39.6fbd2","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":870,"y":200,"wires":[]}]
2 Likes

Update to this threadā€¦
I have been mulling this question over since posting the flow and while I still donā€™t have a complete answer, I wanted to give the customer a better answer than the example flow.
Reaching out to them and talking over their application more, it became very clear that something really was amiss in Node-RED, so they shared their flows with me.

Once I put their flows into a RIO here in the building, I was able to run a Wireshark network capture.
Digging into it showed a surprising resultā€¦
With Node-RED disabled via groov Manage, there was almost zero network traffic, just the odd NTP time sync packet.
With Node-RED enabled, there are a lot of chatter over the wire.

Looking at their flow, I reconized all the nodes in use, bar oneā€¦ A MongoDB node.
Removing this node from the flow and doing a deploy stopped 99% of the network traffic instantly.
The really odd thing is that the node generated traffic even when it was not in use.

With no msg.payloads going in or out, the node should not have been generating any network traffic. At least thatā€™s what I expected to happen (or not happen as the case may be).

And yet it was.

To the tune of 33Kb per minute.
No wonder the customer cell modem data use was higher than expected.
We have raised an issue on the nodes developer github. Wait and see.

Iā€™ve never used MongoDB, but I took a dive through the docs and source and here is what I found.

I think the traffic is related to the MongoDB drivers heartbeat check to the server:

The Mongo node calls connect() when the node is created (so as soon as the flow is deployed), so as long as the node is present, it is going to be sending traffic.

It looks like this value is configured in the node.js driver by setting the haInterval option in milliseconds. It looks like the default in the node.js driver is for this to check every 10 seconds, so if it is only happening every 60 seconds, maybe it is already configured for that?

There is also a TCP keep-alive interval that is changed with the keepAlive parameter (also in milliseconds) I would set this much higher than the default 30,000 ms. In my experience, most equipment will keep a TCP connection open for over 20 minutes - even over CGNAT. Since the haInterval is already sending traffic faster than this, it is pretty much pointless to have it that low. If the haInterval could be set for a really long time (like 30 minutes), then this may be useful to keep the TCP connection alive.

All the available connections options are here: Connection Settings

Fortunately the MongoDB config node exposes the ā€œoptionsā€ setting so all these things can be changed.

I donā€™t know what the consequence of setting the haInterval check to a longer interval is.

1 Like

33 KiB/min not 33Kb/min :wink:

Actually 45 KiB/min if you include the transmits.

Almost 2 GiB/month of traffic for some keep alives!

Far out @philip !!! Thanks a heap for the deep dive!
Thatā€™s some really helpful intel right there.
I never thought of a heartbeatā€¦ Not even sure why a database needs one, but perhaps thatā€™s a powerful feature of Mongodbā€¦ Regardless, thanks again!

@philip we are not able to find this options setting in our node red node. Can you help us out?

From what I can figure, you put the MongoDB connection options here;

Leslie, if you guys work out the settings required to turn off the heartbeat, please post the results here to help others that want to use this node.
Thanks!

What @Beno pointed to is correct. Whatever gets entered there is JSON parsed and passed to the Mango client connect function options parameter.