Mosquitto MQTT server in old cellphone

Hi,
Simple tip, if you need to test MQTT related projects with your PR-1 without running Mosquitto on the PR1 (risky) or using a PC? I have used and old motorolla G4+ cell phone android 7, running the app Termux (linux terminal emulator) in order to run Mosquitto in the device, the PR1 nodered receives the data with no issues and I have performed intense testing and integrated with several devices. It works perfectly even with heavy loads and the built in battery gives me a lot of flexibility not to mention that you can also check on Groov view on it. I removed non needed apps and services and the device works flawless serving data to the PR1 from several wireless movement sensors and shelly 1 devices.
I will not try critical applications but for testing and non critical I got surprised with the new use for the outdated cell phone as a server/HMI interface.

2 Likes

Not only Mosquitto, but also Node-RED:
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/android

Really, there are so many cool things you can do with your old Android phones…

Yep, but since nodered is in the PR1 I did not pushed the cell phone, Groov give us privacy when it comes to not depending on external cloud services, the integration level with IOT devices is amazing, so no more data or video to unknown servers, Groov rules.

So true. Having Node-RED behind https and authenticated on EPIC and RIO is a really big deal.

Speaking of video and groov… Don’t forget that you can turn your old Android and iOS phones into webcams that can be used in groov View (using the Video Gadget).

3 Likes

Just wanted to agree that Node-RED in an industrial box, behind all the security stuff is a really good thing…

As a note… I’ve not found another Node-RED device that’s industrial, with two ethernet ports… if there’s any chance of building a reduced Groov with just those features for a reduced price… (hint hint hint) …I’m confident there is/will be a market for it!

In our case, for instance, I really wanted a dedicated Node-RED box that has the dual separate network access that both the EPIC and the Groov offer (like the Groov), but don’t need the Groov View part at all. I ended up running Node-RED on one of the computers in our system, but it’s not ideal…

2 Likes

That is a good idea and adds extra security.

Technically you could use groov RIO to do this. Even though it only has a single IP address on the hard-wired Ethernet ports, you could use a USB to WiFi module to get a second network interface (of course it would have to be WiFi)

1 Like

The other thing I have done a lot of is to use the Android phone as a sensor.
Streaming the phones environmental sensors to an MQTT broker for display in groov View / Node-RED.
This page gives a good overview; REVIVE AN OLD SMARTPHONE AS AN IOT SENSOR – — The Black Magic Boxes

1 Like

Interesting and useful one, I have used nodemcu for similar things with certain level of processing in the nodemcu unit prior to signaling via MQTT to PR1.
The phone sensors are very useful for temperature, vibration and noise alarms.