Monitor SNAP S2 with groov AR-1

I would like to monitor the status of whether or not a SNAP controller is running. Specifically if it goes down for whatever reason, such as a power outage, I want the groov to send me an email which i can then use to text a phone. What would be the best method to do this?

Probably a bunch of ways to do this…

I would use a groov-io-input node to read MMP address: 0xF030010C, the milliseconds since powerup. Just a nice moving number from the controller, nothing more special about it than that.

Don’t hook the groov-io-input node to anything, its not needed.
If the SNAP controller goes off line, the groov-io-input node will throw an error.
Use a Catch node to catch that error.
Put the output of the Catch node into an emial node.

Hi Beno, but since i am monitoring a SNAP controller I need to use a snap pac read node. these are the options i get from this node:
how do i access the MMP address you suggest?

Just use ‘Device Details’.
As I said, the MMP is not important at all. You just need to access the device over the network every second or so… I mean, you could use the Ping Node to ping the IP address of the SNAP Controller if you want.
You just need some way to knock on the door and see if the SNAP Controllers answers - Yes or No.
The knock is not important, the answer (or lack there of) is.

1 Like

Ok, I wired that in. It works, thanks.

Hi
Sorry to revive this thread, but is there a way to write to the memory map in a snap pac controller? I want to write to a PID output from groov view. I did this with an EPIC by writing to the Mem Map using groov I/O write, however would like to this same method (without reprogramming the strategy) with a SNAP PAC controller.
Any ideas?

Great question Nick… Hmmm… I think as long as the SNAP PAC is running something like 8.x+ firmware and you have turned on the REST server then you should be able to create a HTTP connection from the computer/groov device running Node-RED and write your data that way. (Use the HTTP node to do a PUT).
I would change the port on the SNAP PAC controller to something above 1024 and not the usual 2002 etc.

Yeah thanks @Beno but I just had a look at the API and there is no option to write to either memmap or to a PID loop. Unless I’m missing something…

Doesn’t setting up a Opto22 I/O Unit device in groov do the trick?