Installing Amazon GreenGrass Core on groov EPIC

You may already know that groov EPIC is an Amazon Web Services (AWS) partner device, but the software installation requires some specific steps, the first of which is to obtain and install a shell license.
After that, all of the documentation you should need is on the AWS documentation website, but to make it easier for new users, I’m going to list all the links and steps you will need here in this post.

Since EPIC uses Armv7l architecture, you can mostly follow the AWS documentation for installing GGC on Linux here: AWS IoT Greengrass
All of the required dependencies are already included on the latest EPIC firmware, with the exception of the gcc user and user group, which are covered in the linked guide.

The last thing is a “cgroups” fix that’s covered on this page: AWS IoT Greengrass
What that boils down to is downloading a script, making it executable, then running it on your groov EPIC with the following shell commands:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tianon/cgroupfs-mount/master/cgroupfs-mount
cgroupfs-mount.sh
chmod +x cgroupfs-mount.sh
sudo bash ./cgroupfs-mount.sh

Also, before installing the software you can also run their dependency checker to ensure that everything is good to go.

The last thing to note is that the Linux documentation specifies the command “apt” but you should use “apt-get” instead with groov EPIC.

If you go through this and set up an AWS GGC implementation please make a post in the thread below so we can hear about what you’re doing with Amazon + Opto.

And as always, happy coding!

6 Likes

Hi Terry,

1. I am starting validation of a RIO MM2 (GRV-R7-MM2001-10). My goal is to integrate with AWS IOT Core by installing greengrass core, as per this description which references the EPIC devices. I would like to be able to use the RIO without another hardware edge device running a local MQTT broker/bridge in order to connect to AWS MQTT (built-in) methods, using multiple certs and keys, etc. I do not want to use Node-RED.

These docs point to online AWS refs using GGC v1.

I forged ahead and am using v2 of AWS IOT GGC. It will fail, as the GGC installer has a dependency on systemctl(systemd), and the RIO MM2 uses simpler older SystemV (SysV). So this is a blocker for me. Does your team have any intentions of sorting out workarounds, so that I can use the GGC v2 improved features?

1. I do not see much activity in the forum on using AWS GGC with the Opto22 EPIC/RIO. Can I assume that the AWS effort is not panning out for integrators, and/or that other integrators want less effort? Should I abandon a GGC approach, and let my team know that Node-RED is best approach out-of-the box? Or simply go the 2 hardware boxes approach w/ MQTT bridge, and use the RIO as a peripheral thing?

Hi Bruce. Welcome to the Opto22 Forums.

@torchard is a bit slammed at the moment, but we sync’ed up on this…

After putting a solid amount of work into GGC v1 support we found the adoption rate was pretty much non-existent.
As you say in your post, its just not really be something that we have seen many integrators or customers moving to. (Most seem to be choosing options that support open standards like MQTT and more so, Sparkplug - not a proprietary one).
We continue to monitor the interest in native GGC v2, but so far, we are not finding a lot.

The other thing that has changed a lot since we did the v1 support is that Cirrus Link now offer an AWS IoT Greengrass module.
This is what we now recommend if you want to go that way. Since you have the MM2 with Ignition Edge you can add that module and not use Node-RED or a two box solution.

1 Like