Installation for Groov Nodes Fails - SOLVED

I’m trying to add the Groov nodes to my Node-RED installation and it fails. I have the most current version of everything installed.

Here is what the log says (see below). I hope it means something to someone. It surely doesn’t to me. Thanks.

Edit: So I looked at the troubleshooting guide and it said to make sure the Groov could access the Internet. I knew it could because that’s how I accessed it, but only by an IP address. Turns out I didn’t have the DNS settings configured so it couldn’t resolve any host names.

Error: Command failed: npm install --save --save-prefix=“~” --production node-red-contrib-groov@1.0.2
npm ERR! Linux 3.0.35-groov3.5
npm ERR! argv “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/bin/npm” “install” “–save” “–save-prefix="~"” “–production” “node-red-contrib-groov@1.0.2”
npm ERR! node v6.3.1
npm ERR! npm v3.10.3
npm ERR! code EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! errno EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! syscall getaddrinfo

npm ERR! getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN registry.npmjs.org:443
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR! https://github.com/npm/npm/issues

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/dev/.node-red/npm-debug.log

1 Like

Nicely self-solved.
We have seen this one a few times, the key in the error log is the ‘syscall getaddrinfo’, it throws an error trying to resolve the the address of the npm install.
Just as you found, its a DNS issue.

Thanks for updating your post.

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forums.

It all boils down to what sort of network are you on?
If you are on a network with a DHCP and DNS server, you don’t have to do anything, those options will be filled in by those servers and you are done. Just leave them blank and go to work.

Since you say you are having similar issues as the author of this thread, it sounds like you are on a non-standard network.
Do you have a computer on the same network?
If so, you can open a cmd window and issue the command ipconfig and then take the results of that and enter them into your RIO.

Let us know how you get on.

Hello, I actually just deleted my post due to how easy the solution was, but apparently you were quicker than that, impressive! I’m used to setting up static IP’s being from the industrial world but I don’t know how to setup custom DNS information. So, I instead connected to my work network and changed the network connection to automatic in the RIO, let the DNS address get pulled from this, and then it worked.

2 Likes

can you share where you put the “dns settings” into the groov rio?

when I do ipconfig i get a whole slew of ip’s and i’m unclear of what I should be looking for.

what I’m trying to do is update and or add node-red packages to the install and it’s giving me the error the OP had. he resolved his issue. I have not resolved this issue. I’m accessing our company network through a wireless connection. I’m also accessing the groov rio through a wired ethernet hookup.
when I run ipconfig, what/where should I put into the rio to be able to install npm packages?

You don’t have to be in shell to get the networking setup correct, so jump out of PuTTY and look at the network settings of the RIO in a web browser via groov Manage.

Under System → Network you will find the following:

The problem you are experiencing is because you don’t have a clear path to the Internet with either the RIO or the computer you are using.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I misunderstood that the RIO had had both Wifi and Ethernet connected, that does not seem the case. You are using Wifi on your computer and Ethernet on the RIO?

Use the network tools in groov Manage to test that you can reach say google.com and then check that you can do the same on the laptop.

It’s really important to note is that since this post was made, we have come to understand that BOTH the RIO and the computer browser you are using to view/edit Node-RED on the RIO ALSO need a gateway to the Internet.

So that’s both the RIO and web browser need a gateway to be able to install extra Nodes.
This is critical and not optional.