Ignition Edge on EPIC and Designer

Hi everyone,

Well it’s a new day and a new issue, which I am seeking support on.

I am using EPIC with firmware 3.3.2-b.93, Ignition Edge with 30-day trial licence installed, and Ignition version is 8.1.10.
After opening Ignition Edge on the EPIC in my browser (Firefox), downloading Designer and installing it, once it opens I get two error messages, both same just repeated, which I can’t work out how to get rid of.

1. Compact Version of error:
    ExecutionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
    caused by GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
    caused by ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:

Ignition v8.1.10 (b2021090812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

I have checked Java verion on Windows PC and it is up to date. Tried it on two other PC’s and get the same results.

Anyone got any ideas what I have messed up, please?

Hi Darran,
You might try hitting up the Ignition forums or help line for this error. I did a bit of Google foo and it seems that others have had it on other platforms which leads me to think you will get more help from Inductive since its not linked to the groov platform.

Thanks Ben, will do!

@Beno @greichert
Hi Guys,
I have been on the Ignition forums and submitted a help request about this issue.
One of the forum members replied with:
Support can help with this error. They will likely recommend clearing the local Ignition cache (by deleting the .ignition file listed in the error).
If this is suggested, how would I go about clearing this in the EPIC, please?

You need to get a zero cost shell license, apply it and log in with something like PuTTY or Power Shell.

Once you do that you will have full access to the entire file system.

Thanks Ben, that sounds a bit scary!!
I have never been in the shell or used Linux before. Are there instructions somewhere?

It can be both scary and fun, but I take your point.
It is important to know that you will only need it if required to fix your issue, it will be a few short commands. Once done, you can turn it off and move on without it.

Our shell page can be found here:
https://developer.opto22.com/epicdev/SSH/

Be sure and ask any question or seek guidance here as needed regarding the EPIC shell side of things.

I think it may be better if I reset the EPIC back to factory defaults and start again!!!

I am not sure of the details of the core issue with Ignition that is causing the error, so can’t comment if a full factory reset will clear the error or not.
I’d perhaps wait a bit and see what you hear back from Inductive Support.

Well if it helps anyone there, here is the full error report once I launch designer:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.opcbrowser.OpcBrowseExecutor$ProviderBrowseExecutor.browse(OpcBrowseExecutor.java:49)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.opcbrowser.AbstractOPCTreeNode.browse(AbstractOPCTreeNode.java:35)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.opcbrowser.OPCFolderNode.loadChildren(OPCFolderNode.java:52)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.tree.AbstractAsynchronousTreeNode$Loader.run(AbstractAsynchronousTreeNode.java:83)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:325)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:945)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.GatewayTagInterface.browseTagDataSourcesAsync(GatewayTagInterface.java:180)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.GatewayTagInterface$GatewayProviderProxy.browseTagDataSourcesAsync(GatewayTagInterface.java:263)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.browseTagDataSourcesAsync(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:155)
… 9 more
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(null)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(null)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.functions.TagProviderRpc.browseTagDataSources(TagProviderRpc.java:756)
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(null)
at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(null)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(null)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.AbstractGatewayFunction.invoke(AbstractGatewayFunction.java:228)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.Gateway.doPost(Gateway.java:432)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:86)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsync.service(ServletHolder.java:1450)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:799)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$ChainEnd.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1626)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:548)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:602)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1624)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1434)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1594)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1349)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
at com.inductiveautomation.catapult.handlers.RemoteHostNameLookupHandler.handle(RemoteHostNameLookupHandler.java:116)
at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:59)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:516)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:388)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:633)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:380)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:277)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection$DecryptedEndPoint.onFillable(SslConnection.java:555)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection.onFillable(SslConnection.java:410)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection$2.succeeded(SslConnection.java:164)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:338)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:315)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:173)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:131)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:386)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:883)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:1034)
at java.lang.Thread.run(null)

Ignition v8.1.10 (b2021090812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

Just a lot of words to me!!

@Beno
This is the repsonse from Inductive Support:

It appears there is an issue with a file located in the Java runtime resources. Could you navigate to the C:\Users{current_user}.ignitiondirectory and delete the cache folder? After deleting the cache, try launching the client again. This will force the cached files to be re-downloaded, so the first-time opening may take a little bit longer than usual.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, please send over a copy of the designerlauncher.log text document. This should be located in the C:\Users{current_user}.ignition\clientlauncher-data directory.

How do I get that shell licence, and what do I type to do what they suggest?

Good news.
Nothing to do with EPIC, no shell license required.
Its all about the client running on your Windows PC.

Just use the Windows File Explorer to go to the folder they specify and see how you go.