Groov RIO in the flesh

I took a look but it appears to only do MMP with EPIC series controllers … the authentication appears differently in the groov IO nodes versus the pac nodes.

Thinking about it some… There is no need to use MMP, the counter has a tag name so you can use the PAC Nodes to read the tag name.
You cant do that in RIO as there is no control engine to have the tag name.
So yes, just use the PAC node to read the counter.

EDIT. Thinking about it even more, that’s not going to work is it because the point name is not the point feature… OK, when I get some time I will dig into it all a little more.
Sorry for the noise.

1 Like

Will the RIO have OpenVPN client?

Now this one I KNOW the answer to. Yes.
It does have the VPN client just like the PR1.

Here’s an obvious one… how long is the boot time? (the time from when power is applied until an onboard node-red flow begins executing, for example)

We are still fine tuning the boot sequence.
(But you can expect something like 2-3 minutes).

Any shell access???

Not at first release. No. (But we are interested in hearing about use cases for it).

We have servo motor located remotely, and we need to monitor rotation via encoder pulse.
Does Opto22 has high speed input for encoder pulse? If yes, will RIO have this?

RIO has two high performance inputs that will measure counting up to 10khz.

What’s the power consumption? Just curious what size power supply we’ll need for this.

Great question. I will need to find one and measure it for myself to be sure.
(All this time I have been running it over PoE).

EDIT. Ok, at 24vDC its 250mA booting and 230mA running. That’s with no I/O, so if you throw some 4-20mA outputs on there, just keep that in mind.
So that’s 6-8 watts.

1 Like

One more oddly specific question… will the RIO require authentication to log into it like you currently do on the EPIC, or can that be disabled? I’m working on a concept where I’ll want the end user to directly access a Node-RED dashboard on the RIO without needing to login.

You will need to log in to view the Node-RED dashboard.

Do you know if the RIO will still ship this month? Also, will this coincide with 2.0 firmware for EPIC by any chance?

We are working really hard to ship this month.
Yes, it will also coincide with an EPIC 2.0 firmware release and a PAC Project 10.3 release.

1 Like

Did this feature make it into 10.3? I get an error during download to an R1 when I add a RIO IO unit. Generic OptoMMP works fine though, but less convenient.

You also need 10.3 firmware in the PAC so it can respond correctly to the RIO.
We are working hard to get the firmware ready to release…

1 Like

That makes sense - I installed the latest firmware available thinking that would do it, but I see it isn’t ready yet. Thanks for the update!

Has anyone noticed that when you are running a Node Red flow in one window and “Generic MMP” (through Groov Manage) in another, you get an HTTP error in your NR Debug panel? Specifically 500, bad API key? And when you go back to “I/O Tools” it goes back to normal?