Groov OPC Communication

When somebody says: “An external software needs to get data from Groov EPIC thru OPC-UA.”

Is that possible?
How do you implement it?

Thank you.

No. Ignition Edge can not support external connections. It was a choice made by Inductive themselves, all Ignition Edge instances (for example, if you ran it on a Raspberry Pi) can not support external connections.

For external OPC-UA connections, you need the full licensed version of Ignition.

Hi Beno,

Thank you. I felt weird with the idea at first. Groov Epic can read data from standalone controller like allen-bradley and Siemens thru OPC-UA. But Groov Epic which is build for communication do not have this same feature.

If I have full license of Ignition, do I need any addition hardware like windows to make Groov Epic OPC-UA readable? or Standalone EPIC with full license will do?

Thank you.

To conclude this thread:
Groov EPIC does not support OPC UA.
If you have a device that is OPC UA readable, Groov EPIC cannot read data via OPC UA.
On the other hand, if you have a device that can collect data via OPC UA, that device cannot read EPIC data via OPC UA.

That’s not accurate.

groov EPIC reads OPC-UA just fine. If you have an existing OPC-UA server, you can point groov View at it and read/write.

groov EPIC also bundles Ignition Edge, an OPC-UA server that can act as a bridge to other devices, though I’m not sure whether it’s accessible from off the EPIC box.

For more detail and a more official answer, please contact our Support team: they can give you all the answers you’re looking for:

https://www.opto22.com/support/contact-us

We are setting up one groov EPIC now, and will be purchasing another one within the month.
Sounds like a plan, I will contact support for an OPC-UA server to point to groov View and read/write.

Ignition Edge is confusing so I want to make this clear for other reader. Ignition Edge provides communication driver on the down link to talk to shop floor devices and on the uplink, it provides OPC-UA that ONLY groov EPIC can communicate internally. No external OPC-UA client, can read data from Ignition EDGE. ONLY external Full Ignition software can read from Ignition Edge.

That being said, I might be wrong on previous post, perhaps groov can act as an OPC client and can read from any OPC-UA server.

Thank you Jonathan.

Yeah, we’ve supported OPC-UA since groov View version 2.0, released almost 6 years ago now. That’s how we communicate with Ignition Edge; there’s nothing in groov View that even knows Edge is there by default. You have to connect it manually.