EPIC USB Serial

Hi, I can not get the serial usb to work on the EPIC.

Using the USB port 0, it appears in the Manage-> System-> Serial Devices as / dev / ttySer0 and Port Number 0. I have tried:

1- With pac control 10 and a comm handle “ser: 0, …”, the OpenOutgoingCommunication command returns a -49 (nobody else is using it)

2- Node-Red with the strategy stopped and the node-red-node-serialport configured as /dev/ttySer0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 returns a Permission Denied error, can not open /dev/ttySer0

The device I am using has worked on linux, windows, mac …

clues?

Good news… we have been able to reproduce your Node-RED issues and we can confirm its a bug.
The bit of bad news is that it is going to take some time to get a fix and issue an update.

On PAC Control. This should work.
I am setting up a serial device at my desk, but in the mean time; does this image help?

I can confirm that Ben’s serial setup works, but it is very flaky. I was able to get Modbus RTU working, but I had to have the opposite settings for bit parity. If my end user device was even, I had to use none. If the parity was none, I would have to use even. It was bizarre, and I have since gotten some R2’s with a rack and RS485 module and attached it as IO to the groov epic. Hopefully a serial card is released soon… I have lots of units to build, but not at this added cost.

Overall, the EPIC is a phenomenal device, I am having lots of fun getting it working with other groov-epic devices with node-red!

1 Like

Thanks for your sharing.
From your information, the even and none need to be inverse.
Then how about odd ?

When this bug will be fixed?

The EPIC serial module is just about ready to be released… Hopefully this month (September).
There are 4 ports per card and you can configure each port to be a different type of serial (232 or 485).

It will be very expensive if only need one serial port in EPIC.
So, the USB-to-Serial Converter is the best solution.
When this bug will be fixed?

If you’re desperate, get an Ethernet to serial bridge. I believe you can get these with one or multiple serial ports. Also, if you use Mikrotik, I think you can use it as a serial bridge (as well as switch/router) to the USB port on it.

This is a pretty old thread, and many OS updates have happened since. Is there a way to connect node-red to the USB port(s) on the EPIC as there is on the RIO by connecting to /dev/ttySer0?

I must be misunderstanding your question @loren1 so sorry for the noise, but if you connect your serial converter to the USB port and then look at the serial page in groov Manage, you can see the path to the device that you use in Node-RED.

That’s the first way, the second is to just click the find button in the serial Node.

It will then drop down the list of current serial devices found on the system.

But like I said, that cant be what you are looking for?

My problem was that I was looking for /dev/ttySer0 and it wasn’t there.

The reason it wasn’t there is because I hadn’t yet plugged in my device. I now see that /dev/ttySer0 is dynamically added when the device is plugged in.

Thank you for your quick reply!

-Loren

1 Like