EPIC-LC2 OPC UA Crashing with Ignition Edge Trial Reset

Hey guys!
Currently using a trial version Ignition Edge on a Groov EPIC-LC2 as a store-and-forward to a central full Ignition instance (also a trial version).

After about a month of use, an occasional trial reset of Edge would cause the OPC UA server to fault, providing the following error message:
“Cannot browse connection “Ignition OPC UA Server” when connection state is CLOSED.”

The only known fix is to reset the EPIC-LC2.

The time gaps between faults has decreased with time, with now a full reset being required for every 2hr trial reset of Edge!

My only guess would be that the EPIC-LC2 isn’t releasing memory and something is overflowing?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Opto22 forums Tal

I don’t think that’s the case, but to put your mind at rest, look at the Ignition Performance screen and see for yourself.

Log into your Edge instance, click on the Status side menu, and then Performance.
You can zoom in and out, etc, and you should see the tiny saw wave of the garbage collector doing its thing.

This screenshot is from a pretty busy EPIC, but not a ton of tags, just a lot of features (its one of our main demo EPICs).

I am not sure why this would be required.
Two options I wonder if you have tired…

1. Restarting Ignition Edge from groov Manage (sliding the switch off and back on a moment after its reported its stopped Ignition - this can take a solid minute or more)
  2. If you are referring to the Data Service, then this too can be restarted via groov Manage.

Hey @Beno! Thanks for the quick response.

Looks like restarting the Data Service as you mentioned did the trick.

Wonder what caused this and if it may reoccur?

I’ve been chalking up any issues to running the trial version of Ignition with long uptimes.

Regardless, appreciate the help!

• Tal

What version of firmware are you running?
Some improvements have been made to the Data Service in the last 2-3 releases.
The current version is 3.6.0. You can find it in your portal at manage.groov.com

Also, it’s probably long gone, deep in the log history, but you can always check the Data Service log files and see what errors were around at the time of the issue.