Accessing Files Stored on Groov EPIC in Ignition Edge

I’m using Node-RED hosted on a Groov EPIC to read data from a serial device and write it to a CSV file (stored on the EPIC at /home/dev/secured/…).

I want to pull data from the CSV file into Tags in Ignition Edge (using a script in Ignition Edge). I know how the syntax on the Ignition Edge side of things works, but the function that reads the file in Ignition Edge requires me to specify a filepath.

I tried both of these filepaths in the Ignition Edge script, but both yielded an error saying that the file doesn’t exist.

I actually used the full web address as follows:
https://epic-lexington-medical/manage/api/v1/files/secured/rpc/get-file/print_current_setup_command.txt

and

https://epic-lexington-medical/home/dev/secured/print_current_setup_command.txt

This might be a dumb question, but since Ignition Edge is running on the same device that the files are stored on (the Groov Epic), is there any reason I shouldn’t be able to access files stored on the Groov EPIC in Ignition, like I would if it was hosted on any other computer?

This could possibly be due to a bug in my program on the Ignition side, but I wanted to see if it’s at all possible for Ignition to see my locally stored files.

This is likely a user permission issue, i.e. the underlying linux user that has ownership of the folder area.

Do you have the same issue when using the /home/dev/unsecured/ file area?

2 Likes

@matt.karee Do you have a shell license installed?
If so, you can change the directory file permissions as a work around.
I’d need to double check, but I think this will be addressed in an upcoming firmware release, but tweaking the permissions should get you going in the mean time.

1 Like

I’m going to try messing with user permission next, but first I want to make sure I’m entering the filepath in correctly.

I’m seeing in the examples for the function that I’m using in Ignition, that users specify the filepath as

‘C://xxx//xxx/xxx/xxx.txt’

Is there an issue with formatting my file path as follows?

https://epic-lexington-medical/home/dev/secured/print_current_setup_command.txt’

That URL is not a valid LINUX naming standard, so no, you cant do that.

A Linux file name can be up to 255 characters long and can contain letters, numbers, and underscores only . The OS is also case-sensitive, which means it distinguishes between uppercase and lowercase letters in file names.

1 Like

Thank you.

What would a filepath that follows the LINUX naming standard and directs to /home/dev/secured/print_current_setup_command.txt look like?

That looks pretty good right there.
No punctuation, no spaces and using underscores…

1 Like

Hmm okay I’m still getting the same error with that filepath. I will look into changing the directory file permissions.

Interesting update: I tried the exact same method but with that same file stored in

/home/dev/unsecured

And my error message on the Ignition side changed from “This file does not exist” to “This file isn’t readable”.

So… Ignition can see the file at least!