Totalizer value clearing at Download

I could download the config once and then implement the comms disable/enable work-around after that. the problem is that if I needed to make a config change in the future, I would have to figure out the work around if I remember… or I would just accept the loss of totalizer value for the single download. More then likely it would not be me having to deal with this in the future, so it would be ideal to not have a janky work-around to confuse the next guy.

Or maybe the question is, can I download the initial config and then just use Groov Manage to make any changes in the future? mirroring the change in the strategy. so the strategy would keep a record of the configuration. (From the manual, it doesn’t sound like there is a way to backup the Groov Manage I/O config?) It seems like anyway you slice it, eventually you may want to re-download the configuration, but maybe at that point the totalizer wouldn’t matter because you are probably recovering from a loss of some sort.

Sounds like the configuration is somewhat asynchronous, I wouldn’t trust this always working unless Opto says that is okay.

This is the approach I would probably take - instead of getting and clearing the totalizer at midnight, do it more frequently - create a variable for the days totalizer and store in it every minute or whatever works for you. Then use that value to store in your long term value that you are currently using at midnight.

Make sure you are familiar with the pitfalls of adding a small float to a large float, I usually convert the totalizer float value to a smaller unit of measure and store in an int64 so I do not lose precision. So if I was measuring L/min in the totalizer, I would store mL/min in an int64 variable. I then convert back to L/min into a float for any HMI or reporting.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is probably a better solution, then a download only causes at most 1 minute of lost totalizer value. I could then just trigger the totalizer update in the powerup chart and hopefully not lose anything, but not worry if I do because it would be so little.

Good reminder on the floats, I am well below the funny math limit in a day of totalizing so I should be good. Always something to keep in mind…