OPC Server tutorials

Are there any tutorials/videos/etc. on setting up an OPC server?

OPC in which product?

Opto OPC of course! :wink:

I found that the step-by-step OPC server manual provided by OPTO works perfectly for a OPTO OPC Server. The server is then easy to set-up with the Browser Configurator…its the OPC set-up on the other end that tends to be more difficult. I have connected to Allen Bradley, Siemens, and Honeywell systems, and I usually have to rely quite heavy on their tech guys (and usually it is new to them, so its always fun).

One thing to remember…they say they are limited to a tag length of 32 characters. It usually ends up being 64, but keep your tags short just in case.

Bill

On the DCOM security side, it is easiest to make sure that the Opto OPC server service and whatever your client service is are using the same username and password. A lot of the time they are set by default to use the local system account, and this will not work. This is changed on the Log On tab of the service properties.

This doesn’t apply to OPC-UA, but Opto’s OPC server doesn’t support that anyways.

I’m thinking of commissioning an OptoOPC Server on one of the PCs running PacDisplay since there are several PCs running pacdisplay, plus a groov box looking at the same controller(s). It’s my understanding this should alleviate com problems and/or speed up communications by offloading coms to a single unit from the controller. This should be pretty simple right?