DNS name rather than IP - old forum post

Joshua

Joined on 06-09-2005
Posts 6
PAC IO Manager “Feature”

Last time I installed PAC IO I was unable to use a DNS name instead of an IP. has this feature been removed in recent features.

01-06-2009, 11:41 AM

ben orchard

Joined on 12-08-2004
Posts 33
Re: PAC IO Manager “Feature”

At this time DNS name lookup is not supported. To the best of our knowledge it has never been an option, so it was not there in earlier versions.
Each Opto 22 device must have a fixed IP address and this the only way to address each device at the base level.
The latest version of PAC Manager allows you to link the IP address with a user entered name, but this is only applicable within PAC Manager.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, please let us know.

Ben.

03-24-2009, 9:40 AM

Joshua

Joined on 06-09-2005
Posts 6

Ben,

it’s been a while since I got back to the forum. In IOProject 7.0 and all previous versions if I had a DNS name such as “opto22a.mynetwork.com” that mapped to the IP of my Opto22, It would route appropriately with IO manager and EIEIO. This has been supported since 2000 when I started working with Opto22 products. Are you indicating that this was an “unintended” feature and that it’s been removed at this point? I havn’t updated my PAC IO manager since I posted this so it may have been fixed. Just wondering what the official take is on this.

03-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Bryce

Joined on 01-15-2004
Temecula, CA
Posts 19

Hello Joshua,

We really appreciate your participation in the forums.

Ben is correct, our devices thus far do not support DNS.

But this doesn’t mean you can still use a host name to link to an IP address.

There are several ways to provide DNS like support to your window’s computer.

You may add a static entry in the computer’s HOSTS file. This file is usually located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. It is a manually edited file. This isn’t DNS but it will look like it from a user’s perspective.

Another way is to add a static DNS entry into the DNS server. The server provides an IP address to look up. This is DNS but the DNS server is never contacted by our device.

Either of these methods will provide a name lookup functionality.

Perhaps you are using a new computer and does not have the HOST entries or your IT group updated the DNS server and did not copy the static entries. Either of these could make DNS appear to fail.

This functionality has only been around with all PAC Manager version and perhaps since only late 6.x version of ioManager.

Bryce