Add variables in bulk

Hi,
Is there a way to add variables in bulk in PAC Control?
Once again referencing my PLC background, most PLCs I’ve used allowed you to export your variable/tag database, usually as a CSV file, which you could then edit in Excel and import back in.
I do this all the time because on large projects, I might have to add tags for say 100 drives, each drive would have 30-40 tags. And as long as I had a proper tag structure, I could add tags for one drive, and just copy and replace the drive number for the rest of the drives.
I can’t seem to be able to do anything like this in PAC Control since we are advised not to edit the idb.txt file manually?

Hi Koganei,

The idb.txt contents impact [I]groov[/I] but not PAC Control (which uses the .idb binary file).

By tags, do you mean non-I/O tags?

I’m hoping you could use tables to save yourself a lot of variables and redundant code, as I mentioned in this post.

For example, let’s say those 30-40 tags per drive might be:
nOnFlag, nVoltageLevel, nSerialNumber, etc. (just making this up) and you’re thinking you’d add:
nOnFlag1, nOnFlag2… nOnFlag100; nVoltageLevel1, nVoltageLevel2, etc.

If instead you changed each of these 30-40 tags into a table (where each element/index would correspond to a particular drive), when you’d instead have:
ntOnFlags, ntVoltageLevels, ntSerialNumbers and your tags would be in the 30-40 range instead of the 3,000 - 4,000 range. Much easier to manage. Also easier to expand when you go from today’s 100 drives to tomorrow’s 10,000 drives.

Do you see what I’m saying here?

-OptoMary

Yes, that makes sense.
Follow-up question: If I wanted to use names to index my tables instead of just numbers, i.e., instead of just ntOnFlags[1], ntOnFlags[2], I create numeric variables nPump1, nPump2, etc. and use ntOnFlags[nPump1], would be it best to initialise the variables on download, on run, or make them persistent? Or leave all the initial values to 0 and use an OptoScript block to initialise them in the Powerup chart (which I would actually have to do if they were persistent since you can’t initialise persistent variables)?

A couple thoughts on this, if you’re going to initialize this values (and you have lots) to, say:
nPump1 = 1;
nPump2 = 2;

nPump100 = 100;
Then you’re probably better off skipping it, since you’re (I’m guessing) not going to CHANGE those values, and well, not getting any (pardon the pun) [I]value [/I]out of having them as variables… you’re just adding more variables. At the point, you also lose the value of having a table and the ability to loop through (if you were to change them to something other than 1, 2, 3…).

Here’s another post about initializing tables and persistence that I hope might be helpful to you: [click here].