Groov EPIC modules for CT

Hi I have a CT (OPTOEMU-ACT-0750-100), which I would like to monitor or get the power and energy measurements. My question is I am planning to use groov EPIC for this but I don’t know what modules should I use to get the readings via the existing CT. Pls. help.

CT modules for EPIC are on the to-do list… In the mean time, you can easily use an EB (SNAP Ethernet Brain) and any of the CT modules as remote I/O on the EPIC to get the signal into EPIC.

Has there been any progress on connecting CT modules into the groovEPIC or RIO devices?

I looked into the EB (SNAP Ethernet Brain), and am wondering where the CT wires would connect into it.

Is the EB still the best option, and if so, how would I connect the AC output wires from the CT module into it?

Thank you,
-Loren

Yes. There is some progress on the groov power module, but its not to the point where we have a due date.
So, yes, right now, the SNAP PAC Modules are your best bet. They are ready to go.
https://www.opto22.com/products/snap-aipm
Your CT and voltage wires go straight to the module and it calculates power and 13 other or so parameters for you.

As the first time reviewing the SNAP PAC Modules, it appears I need the CT module, the SNAP rack, the EB brain, the AIPM module, power supply, and ethernet cable to provide signal to the groovEPIC.

Is this correct, and does this require a windows machine or other components to configure?

Updating for others in this situation that may stumble upon this thread. The cost and complexity of the above SNAP PAC route is pretty high. Around $1500 and several older-gen components.

After a little further research, I found if you have a spare 0-10vdc or 4-20ma input channel, you can connect one of these Honeywell Transducers for under $100. It provides amperage input so you’ll have to do the calculations for watts, amp hours, etc. but the hardware complexity and cost makes the SNAP PAC route hard to justify.

And this solution works for both the groovEPIC and the RIO.

Thanks - We have had great success using these very inexpensive units from Trumeter and then connecting to a 4-20mA input module. Their units are very impressive and easily configurable via USB.

https://www.trumeter.com/

If you want to go serial, you could look at the Wattnode devices.
You could talk to them via Node-RED or PAC Control.

1 Like

I second the Watt Nodes - they work very well and can have utility grade accuracy with the correct CTs.

However, if you don’t need power factor or a true power reading, then using a 0-5V or 4-20mA CT would be a very inexpensive way to go.