Unsigned Integers

Actually, there’s quite the discussion going on LinkedIn about that here. If you’re on LinkedIn, I’d recommend adding your 2 cents into that discussion too!

We don’t have any command vs. time type table (there will be lots of variation depending on the PC you use, or in the case of a PAC, what else is going on in your strategy/network). However, I did do some experiments and found that string and math type functions like you’re doing were significantly faster (on this PC) than on a PAC. Ditto writing to local files.

I’ve actually used PAC Sim to generate files (maybe you need a data file w/encrypted test strings?) or to test a strategy before loading it on my hardware PAC. If your code takes a while to run it might be helpful for testing or working on your strategy while traveling on a plane. I could also see it as an aggregator talking to your hardware PACs gather data for an HMI, something like that.

Always interested in doing things in the quickest time, you never know where you might need to ‘turn things around quickly’ for whatever reason. All applications we have done have used either the Ultimate or PAC-R. I can see uses for SoftPAC, but we have a PAC here that has been powered up for months and months at a time with no problems, only reason for stopping it is software update or power cut! - even Linux system might need rebooting in that time. The beauty of the PAC is that it will run reliably and autonomously.

This script has been developed using PAC Sim - first time I have used it as I normally need to interact with I/O in real time. Works well and saves a lot of time waiting for the strategy to load to a PAC. A really useful tool and great for developing strategys. Really impressed. The aggregator idea is interesting.

Signing up for the Linkedin Group.

FYI, here’s another method of doing peer-to-peer (or getting some FactoryFloor data into groov):
http://www.opto22.com/community/showthread.php?t=491