TCP/IP 900 Mhz Radios

I was wondering if anyone has found or used a 900 Mhz radio that uses TCP/IP? The radios we currently have deployed use a proprietary multi-hop network protocol and we are experiencing a fair amount of communication issues. My background is in the IT world where TCP/IP is the standard, and I’m used to having tools like ping, tracert, arp, etc. which allow me to know if something is really there on my network. We use these radios in an agricultural environment over large areas, and knowing if a device is functioning correctly without physically going to the device is important.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi, Dave—
I am no expert—but could this Moxa product help you?

Gray

1 Like

Actually, that looks promising. Thanks!

I have used ubiquiti rocket M 900 radios for years with Opto and works like a charm and very affordable

1 Like

I’ve used Ubiquiti 900mhz stuff for Opto22 as well and would recommend.

1 Like

@Andy_Thomson and @jtanski
What model numbers of the Ubiquiti stuff did you use?

Hey Ben, Ubiquiti’s Rocket M900 line is the way to go for industrial use, I typically use their Yagi (typically comes in a two pack) AMY-9M16, to go with the RocketM900 radio. Of course, always outdoor shielded cable and connectors. Tycon power has some nice POE injectors (http://tyconsystems.com/index.php/products/power-over-ethernet/poe-injectors) when using the 120V one they come with doesn’t work. For more specific application design PM me or give me a call. I have multiple municipal SCADA systems using different frequencies and radio types, I’m quite familiar with their product for a variety of applications. For GHz range radios, RFArmor kits are incredible.

We’re using a combination of Ubiquiti’s 900MHz and 2.4GHz radios to connect approximately 15 well sites with EB2’s via a VPN to our central office. Use 2.4GHz if you have a clear line of site over a longer distance (one is 15 miles). However, if you have trees (and we have lots) 900 can generally burn through most for a distance of a couple of miles. (the water in the leaves scatters the radio waves). We get a number of re-try’s 20 or so a day per EB2, very few actual read failures. We have both multi-point access point using omni-direction antennas, and Yagi’s for point point connections.

Another note, 900MHz is used be a lot of other devices, so if you are in an urban area it might not be the best choice. Ubiuiti has a number of on-line tool to testing a connections before installing, and viewing radio band interferance in the area.