SNAP-PAC-S1 to Opto 22 G4R boards. How do I set it up? - old forum post

firebate

Joined on 04-07-2005
Posts 5
Snap PAC S-1 to OPTO22 G4R boards. How do I set it up?

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to get my SNAP PAC S-1 unit to talk to an OPTO 22 remote I/O setup (talking MISTIC 200 over RS485). The documentation I have examined says it can be done but I have not found enough information to actually do it. My hope is that by introducing the SNAP PAC S-1 I can use the OPTOOPCSERVER to allow other HMIs to access and display my pilotplant data. Currently we use Paragon TNT (by Nematron) to talk directly to our OPTO22 (G4R) remote equipment via RS485 and MISTIC 200 ASCII. This serves our needs well at the moment but Paragon is a stagnant product and we need to be able to move forward with technology. I have a test bench of OPTO22 remote equipment, I have PAC Control PRO 8.0 and I have a SNAP PAC S-1. I can see the PAC controller with OPTO Manager but can not see the I/O boards. I know that my RS485 connection is set up right because when I turn off the termination resistance on the PAC controller, my remote equipment registers the error. I would love a step-by step example of how to set up this equipment so that I can make it work. Any help would be appreciated.
08-31-2007, 9:09 AM
kdowney

Joined on 05-10-2007
Opto 22
Posts 28
Re: Snap PAC S-1 to OPTO22 G4R boards. How do I set it up?

We recently went through an upgrade from a mistic controller to a SNAP PAC S1 at Opto 22. The steps of our upgrade (and the lessons we learned) are documented in form #1596 “Factory Floor to ioProject Migration Guide”, available on the Opto 22 website. This goes through the hardware connections and how to reference the serial bricks in PAC Control.

This form also covers the strategy conversion (available in PAC Professional) from Factory Floor 4.1 to PAC Control. Do you have a strategy to convert or will you be programming your logic on the PAC S?

Thanks.

-Kelly D.

08-31-2007, 1:09 PM

firebate

Joined on 04-07-2005
Posts 5

We have no factory floor strategies to convert as we gave up on factory floor a long time ago. (Partly because of feedback lags that we couldn’t get rid of, partly because we did not want to introduce Local controllers to our configurations. Our Paragon software currently does all strategy (I don’t think there is a tool to convert it to pac strategy) There are no controllers in our current set up (apart from the PAC S1) as paragon talks directly to the G4A8R, and G4D16R brain boards. I will look in the mentioned document to glean what I can from it. Thank you.
08-31-2007, 1:27 PM
firebate

Joined on 04-07-2005
Posts 5

No joy. The migration document don’t give enough detail about creating the point list that I need. It doesn’t describe who to set up the RS485 port properly for my application, it doesn’t describe how to build a point list for the G4A8R and G4D16R boards if one is not already available via factory floor.

08-31-2007, 1:46 PM

JOSHC

Joined on 11-21-2003
Posts 14

Are you trying to configure the I/O in PAC Control?
08-31-2007, 3:55 PM
Bryce

Joined on 01-15-2004
Temecula, CA
Posts 19

I think the biggest confusion in this application is that you are not “in the sense” migrating to PAC Control. You are starting (from scratch) on the SNAP-PAC-S1 and grafting the new controller into an existing Mistic I/O system that Paragon TNT used. This means you are creating a new strategy for the SNAP-PAC-S1.

The SNAP-PAC-S1 will exclusively be the master on the serial bus. This means that Paragon can not co-communicate (nor be connected) to the existing “G4” (aka Mistic 200) bricks. I mention this to clarify that there can only be one master on the 485 serial bus. Also, please make sure the SNAP-PAC-S1’s serial configuration switches are both in the “ON” position.

When you installed PAC Control Pro, a set of PDF’s were also installed. Please navigate to this folder (the default installation path): C:\Program Files\Opto22\PAC Project 8.0\Manuals, Open for 1710, “PAC Control Users Guide Legacy Edition.” Look for the section “Working With I/O.” This section describes how to add I/O units into the strategy. You first need to create an I/O unit and then add the appropriate points that match the module types installed on the Mistic Bricks. Just ignore any references saying “if you used PAC Manager to configure I/O.”

If you have tried this and didn’t see any Mistic I/O Unit types (e.g. G4D16R, G4A16R, B3000 [serial] etc), this is because an appropriate “Legacy Option” has not been enabled. In the strategy you have created in PAC Control, Go to File->Strategy Options; Legacy (Tab); Select “Enable Mistic I/O units and commands.” If this is not enabled please do. Once you click this selection, it can never be reversed in this strategy you are working with.

Once the controller has the IP configuration set (you have been able to communicate to it with PAC Manager), please go back to form 1710 and read through “Working with Control Engines.” This will show you how to add a control engine to your strategy. Ultimately at this point, you can then download the strategy you have created.

Now about the Opto OPC Server portion, if the Opto OPC Server was purchased (either separately or included with PAC Project), you should have a form 1439 “Opto OPC Server User’s Guide” also installed in the Manuals folder. This document describes the operation of the Server product. Familiarize yourself with the way the server is configured, through Item ID’s. This is just a fancy name to describe what data you are requesting.

No doubt that the older Paragon TNT application performed control too. This functionality may be added to the SNAP-PAC-S1. A SCADA over OPC could also accomplish this too but, the SNAP-PAC-S1 is directly connected to the I/O thus enabling a much more robust performance when managing your system… even when the SCADA computer gets turned off.

This is not a complete answer by any means but at least a starting point. :slight_smile:

To go further, please consider the following:

1. Sign up into a FREE training class. This is the most ideal starting point. We are located in Southern California; never rains and always warm!

2. Contact the Opto 22 Product Support group (800.835.6786 or e-mail at support@opto22.com). We can answer questions regarding your implementation.

09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
    firebate

Joined on 04-07-2005
Posts 5

Ok, these instruction seemed to work well. I can see my points. I can set setpoints and P,I,D parameters etc. I can’t seem to change the state of my digital points with paragon but I can with a quick client so I think this is a paragon issue. (I am talking to them about it now.)

Many thanks for the help. I will see you november 12 for the course.

09-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Bryce

Joined on 01-15-2004
Temecula, CA
Posts 19

You’re most welcome! November is usually a really good time of year down here.

Regarding the inability to change the states of digital points. Opto 22’s I/O usually requires configuration. For example, digital modules default as inputs, unless the controlling computer configures them as such. If a digital output module is configured as an input, it will not turn on.

Sorry but I am not that familiar with Paragon. Though, I dug up some notes regarding some prior communication with them (many years ago).

It appears that Paragon will configure the I/O, only if the I/O was immediately power-cycled or reset. Our I/O has a function that will tell the controlling host that they have been power-cycled or reset (via a command). When the controlling host (either SNAP-PAC-S1 or Paragon, in this case) messages the brain, the brain will return a fault indicating the recent reset status. The controller recognizes the response, clears the reset condition flag, and then configures the I/O.

It is possible you used a utility to poll the brains. I think your mentioning of a “quick client” is this. Such a utility will clear this flag, usually automatically. If you simply reconnected Paragon to the I/O after running the SNAP-PAC-S1 or your utility, Paragon will never receive the power-cycled/reset indication thus, never signaled to configure the I/O… and digital outputs remain configured as inputs and… the digital outputs never turning on.

If there was an error reported by the brain, it is not being made obvious to you. It is fairly typical for protocol drivers to not indicate error status to the user.

So… if convenient, toggle the power switch to the I/O. This will set the power cycled flag and hopefully, trigger Paragon to configure the I/O. See if this changes the digital output performance…