PAC Display Runtime running very slowly - displays freezing

We are experiencing the same issue on a new Windows 11 machine with version 10.5 of the Pac Display Basic runtime. We have disabled at both the program and system level every exploit protection we can find, have exempted both our project files and the executable files from Windows Defender, and we’ve tried running Google Earth in the background.

Results are still not great. More often than not, tags don’t update without a manual change of window. Sometimes, they do update, but sluggishly. Sometimes (this is least common) everything works the way it is supposed to. This definitely feels like Windows being difficult, as everything runs just fine on our Windows 10 machines.

I have been dealing with this for a long time, and yes, no matter if you take all the suggestions in the tech note from Opto, I had recently caught defender still using a fair amount of resources when have the problems.

One thing I tried recently, is to exclude defender exploits using C:. This prevents the exploit engine from doing anything, I think it works.

Why hasn’t Opto addressed this with Microsoft?

I SERIOUSLY doubt Microsoft has any incentive to help Opto. On the other hand, I chatted with a support rep at Opto, and they sent me a link to a beta patch for 10.5 that so far has seemed to address the problem. I would assume that patch will be added to the next release once it’s out of beta. We’re in beta ourselves at the moment, so we don’t mind the slight risk. (And it beats fighting the slowdown.)

1 Like

Further to above regarding multiple users simultaneously logged into Windows slowing down tag updates:
I finally found the proper setting to disable on all our field PCs to ensure the techs don’t inadvertently end up with multiple users logged in. Most importantly there’s no more complaints in my direction that things suddenly aren’t performing well.

Highly recommend applying this to all multi-user setups.

1 Like