Modbus to Optocontrol

Hello I have a PowerLogic Series 800 Power Meter that I would like to datalog my power data in Optodisplay. I downloaded and installed the OptoIntegration Toolkit to Optocontrol and was wondering if I could get some guidance on how to use it. I have a SNAP LCM4 controller that I would use to connect to the meter on COM 0. But once I connect to the meter I am confused on where and how to place the data so I can read it.
I’ve been looking for a basic guideline on how to configure the Integration Toolkit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi “SlimJim,”

Welcome to the OptoForums.

It’s been a very long time since I’ve used one of those old LCM4s or looked at the Modbus Integration kit. Remember you can always contact our PSG (product support group). They have some of those old controllers and lots of experience.
Opto22 - Support And it’s FREE!

However, I’d STRONGLY recommend you have a look our new, designed for managing power data OptoEMU “appliances” which require Zero Programming. (It’s an appliance because we’ve done all the programming for you!) The OPTOEMU-SNR-DR2 is only $895 list price (which includes a built-in power supply)!

I suspect the many hours you’d spend getting all those old pieces working together are worth much more than the price of the DR2. (And if you want a wireless version, to save more money on cables and installation, there’s the OPTOEMU-SNR-DR1 w/built-in 802.11 WLAN.) Very cool stuff. We even have a nifty sample PAC Display project to save you time on your HMI and logging. Can you tell we’re excited about our new OptoEMU family members? [URL=“http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=8&item=OPTOEMU-SNR-DR2”]Click here for OPTOEMU-SNR-DR2 I mentioned.

Also Ben’s got a new OptoMinute video that talks about the additions to the family.

In any case, if you MUST use that LCM4, can you tell us a little more about where you’re stuck? Have you used OptoDisplay extensively before? Are you seeing the values you want in OptoControl’s debug windows?

Thanks,
-OptoMary

P.S. Did I mention the OptoEMUs require Zero Programming? :slight_smile:

Thanks Mary for the info. I have looked into the OptoEmu’s and they look very cool but are the compatible with Opto or do I need to upgrade to Pac?

Hi SlimJim,

Actually, the DRs are controllers themselves (much like a PAC-R but with some I/O points and a power supply built-in). They’re also pre-programmed for you, so you don’t necessarily need another controller and don’t need to write a strategy. I’m guessing, however, you have more going on in your system besides the power meter? Could you tell us more about your over-all system?

Because, in terms of being “compatible” – both the OptoControl and PAC Control systems are very flexible and based on open protocols (PACs make it even easier to communicate with just about anything you can imagine) but how you might go about doing that will depend on what all you’re trying to connect, control and monitor.

Do tell us more!

Thanks,
-OptoMary

We have 6 racks with 5 B3000 brains and 1 Snap ENET D64 controlled by 1 LCM4 Controller with factoryfloor w/current firmware.
We are monitoring and controlling equipment while data logging temperatures and power usage.
All 6 racks are completly full with inputs and outputs.
Will the OptoEmu be compatable with our current OptoDisplay so I can view realtime volts amps and KW usage when I connect the OptoEmu to my main power distribution?

Are you talking Ethernet B3000s (SNAP-B3000-ENET) or the old serial ones? I ask because an OptoEMU can talk to just about anything Modbus, and most of our brains talk Modbus, so that might be an option for migration at some point.

In the meantime, you could convert your OptoDisplay project to PAC Display Pro and continue to have it work w/your LCM4 Controller while expanding it to include your OptoEMU too! Lots of fun options.

Form 1692 talks about migrating from FactoryFloor to PAC Project. The last chapter talks about OptoDisplay. I understand upgrading your OptoDisplay project is super easy (just a wizard) but you would want to back up your existing stuff and a few other things first. The doc goes through all the details, in a nice step-by-step for you.