InfluxDB/Grafana on EPIC?

I was wondering if anyone has tried or succeeded in installing Influxdb or Grafana locally on the EPIC. I have some time series process data that I would like to record and visualize using these tools. I have made a couple attempts but the basic instructions I have found (unsurprisingly) don’t seem to work with the custom linux distribution on the EPIC. Presumably these could be hosted another device but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
Travis

I use InfluxDB and Grafana, but I haven’t tried installing them on EPIC. Both projects are able to run on ARM (others have installed them on Pi), so this should technically be feasible.

Just be forewarned, both projects release a lot of updates, also EPIC firmware updates will wipe your installation and you get to do it all over again so it probably isn’t the ideal location.

Where are you getting stuck? Also, how do you plan on pushing the data to InfluxDB?

Hi Philip, just surfing through web and found this forum regarding Grafana. Currently I use nodered to push data into my local desk mssql. Then use meta base to visualize the data. I am currently looking for some good reliable data visualization tool. Can you guide through this and can you also provide some details on Grafana and what is the best way to push the data and view in the tool? . I am beginner on sql and database.

Hi Naren, I use grafana for several of my projects. You might want to watch Terry’s Node-Red videos so you can learn how to send data to a database. I suggest you watch the whole series:
https://www.opto22.com/support/resources-tools/videos/playlist-node-red-workshops
You can host your database in the cloud or on a PC. I would not suggest you try to do it on an Epic or RIO unitl you are much more comfortable with the entire process. Even then I use exteranl databases so that if I have to reset my Epic I do not have to reinstall it all.
Then go to grafana.com to read up on how to install it.
You will need to spend time learning this.

2 Likes

Thanks norm. I use nodered on epic to push sensor reading into mssql on my pc. Then used it on grafana.
Good start for me. Once again thanks for the information.

1 Like