Homebrew BACnet/IP

A homebrew BACnet/IP implementation. Does a discover, a read and a write of commonly used objects (AI, AO, MI, MO, DI, DO etc…). uses subs for each method so if you want a BACnet/iP instance discover tool just write a simple strategy, add the sub and run on PAC Sim.
i know its been on the forums for a while, its slightly more than a sub or some code and its originality isn’t super, but the comments and portability make up for it!! (hopefully…)

Nick

Nick,
I might be missing something but when I downloaded one of your files and I can’t seem to find PAC Control Strategy file.
I’m looking for a program where I can have a BACnet/IP device plugged into the Groov Epic via Ethernet and I can Read/Write points. I thought this would be fairly simple, but I’m finding it is not.
Thank You

I think you are looking for the kit:
https://www.opto22.com/support/resources-tools/downloads/pac-int-bac-ip-r9-4e-zip

Note we don’t offer any official support for this kit, but you are welcome to hit up the forums.

Edit: I recommend that for anyone looking to run bacnet on EPIC should look at the Ignition Bacnet module.

Also welcome to the forums Mike!

Can you point me to any good resources/forum gurus to help me get started learning BACNet with PAC Control? Lot’s of great videos regarding Modbus TCP, but need BACNet help…

One key to the bacnet toolkit is to look closely at the blocks that are special colored.
For example, in the BACnet_IP_Protocol chart there are two purple blocks just after Block_0. These blocks contain the code that you want to add/change to fit your application.

The second of those two blocks is named I/O Setup. This block uses tables and pointers to define the specific IO points and variables you want to expose to the outside world. Another key to this toolkit is that you must understand pointers and tables.

Again, the BACnet_Master chart has two purple blocks at the top which need to be modified to fit your application.

One suggestion to get started with your project, from a chart standpoint, is to use the toolkit in Pac Control to Export the various charts it contains. Then Import them into the project you have that contains your IO and logic. It will add a ton of variables to your project, but they are named very well so shouldn’t get too much in the way.

1 Like