Groov RIO in the flesh

12 in and 12 out :slight_smile:

8 configurable I/O points (digital in or out, or analog in or out, plus a few other options) + 2 mechanical relays for 10 total I/O.

Can the ethernet ports be daisy chained or do we need a switch to connect multiple ones together?

Yes, the ports can be daisy chained. They have the one IP address and act like a two port switch.
Just keep in mind that only ETH1 works with PoE, so if you want to use them with PoE then you will end up with a star network.

1 Like

Is there a way to retrieve a counter off the RIO via Node-RED? Or is our only option via PAC Control? I’m looking at ways we can leverage the on-board Node-RED for some basic automation.

Hey ya Arlin, take a look at the new groov IO nodes; New groov IO Nodes
They can read point features, like a counter for example.
So yes, using Node-RED, with these nodes, you can read them directly into your flow.

1 Like

Same question but reading a counter off a SNAP-PAC into Node-RED (slight detour off-topic, I realize)? The PAC nodes don’t seem to support this, or am I missing something?

That should work using MMP.
We just need to double check that the new groov-IO nodes can do MMP with PAC Controllers (pretty sure it can, but I personally have not tested it)

I took a look but it appears to only do MMP with EPIC series controllers … the authentication appears differently in the groov IO nodes versus the pac nodes.

Thinking about it some… There is no need to use MMP, the counter has a tag name so you can use the PAC Nodes to read the tag name.
You cant do that in RIO as there is no control engine to have the tag name.
So yes, just use the PAC node to read the counter.

EDIT. Thinking about it even more, that’s not going to work is it because the point name is not the point feature… OK, when I get some time I will dig into it all a little more.
Sorry for the noise.

1 Like

Will the RIO have OpenVPN client?

Now this one I KNOW the answer to. Yes.
It does have the VPN client just like the PR1.

Here’s an obvious one… how long is the boot time? (the time from when power is applied until an onboard node-red flow begins executing, for example)

We are still fine tuning the boot sequence.
(But you can expect something like 2-3 minutes).

Any shell access???

Not at first release. No. (But we are interested in hearing about use cases for it).

We have servo motor located remotely, and we need to monitor rotation via encoder pulse.
Does Opto22 has high speed input for encoder pulse? If yes, will RIO have this?

RIO has two high performance inputs that will measure counting up to 10khz.

What’s the power consumption? Just curious what size power supply we’ll need for this.

Great question. I will need to find one and measure it for myself to be sure.
(All this time I have been running it over PoE).

EDIT. Ok, at 24vDC its 250mA booting and 230mA running. That’s with no I/O, so if you throw some 4-20mA outputs on there, just keep that in mind.
So that’s 6-8 watts.

1 Like