GROOV dialogue with PLC Siemens S7

Hello,
From my GROOV EPIC, I wish to communicate with a PLC Siemens S7 using the MPI Siemens protocol. For this, I use as hardware, a USB Serial converter and the appropriate Siemens cable and in software the contribution “node-red-contrib-s7” from the company “Smart-Tech”
First of all, I install the nodes provided via the palette and I use in a flow the node “S7 Control”.
I get the error message “” Could not load MPI-USB library, check your installation ".
I requested a SHELL license and started the installation by SHELL
When i use npm install netsmarttech/mpi-s7 i have this message :
fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory

if i use the command : sudo apt-get install libudev-dev i have this message :
Package libudev-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘libudev-dev’ has no installation candidate

I don’t know what i do.

Thanks

Having a shell license is a great start to exploring lots of options.
Keep in mind that you should have a full backup of your EPIC since you might be installing packages that could cause issues for other packages… This could result in needing to do a factory reset to your EPIC to restore its functionality.

With that said, Google is a great resource to learn about Linux and installing packages.
In a few minutes of looking at your goal of using the S7 USB adapter, I found as you did that some necessary libraries are not installed in the repository. This means you will need to install or build from source. Again, Google can guide you on how to do that.

Libudev-dev depends on libudev1 and libudev1 depends on libc version 2.28, but EPIC has version 2.22 installed. Installing the newer version will not be trivial and should be approached with great care.
I hope that helps get you started in the right direction.

1 Like