Embedded Microsoft OS

We want to create a remote monitoring station for our pilot plant. Our plan was to use a industrial touchscreen Panel PC to run PAC Display, therefore creating a secondary operating station needed to ensure proper plant operating procedure.

I have looked at multiple panel PC’s many of which come with Window’s 7 Embedded OS. Although it isn’t listed as a supporeted OS for Opto 22 PAC software, I am wondering if anyone has experience using PAC control with Windows 7 embedded OS.

Thanks,

Joel

It depends… I think… Is it an ARM processor or Intel/AMD? ARM processors are out for sure. The other architecture might be compatible. Not sure. I have been wanting a embedded/WinCE compatible version of the runtime for this very reason. groov is not always a good option/alternative to the runtime. (It is not compatible with the WinCE I/E browser.)

I’m not sure how to tell if it’s an ARM or AMD, but it is an intel. I’m looking at the OMI6710A at the link below:

http://www.maplesystems.com/products/open-hmi/index_dk.htm

I thought there was a forum post of someone that had done some PAC Display work on an embedded PC, but cant find it.
I know it ‘wont work’ on CE, a lot of DLL’s are missing. I recall someone getting something working on a small industrial PC, but forget what OS it had…

These guys make it sound like it should work; What is Windows 7 Embedded Standard & Why Does it Matter?

This guy makes it sound like you should be able to custom build a system that will run Ok (it might take a few installs to dial in the right drivers); Solved: What are the main differences between Windows Embedded Standard 7 and Windows 7 Pro for Embedded Systems? | Experts Exchange

A speed read of this PDF from Microsoft gives me a warm fuzzy; Redirect Notice

Not a lot of help I know, but it generally sounds pretty positive.

We use PAC Display on multiple machines that run Windows 7 embedded and it works well. In the past we have also successfully ran PAC Display under Windows XP embedded. Our machines have Intel-i7 processors.

That’s great to hear pmur. Are you using Windows 7 Standard or Windows 7 Pro? I think I will definitely stay away from Windows 7 compact.

thx

@Joel_Blackburn Windows 7 Pro

Joel

We have used Tequar panel mount embedded computers connected to PAC-R1 with very good success and they do have Windows 10 Pro embedded with touch screen.
Take a look at TP-2945-15 >>> https://teguar.com/ 1-800-870-7715

Regards
Eric Labbate

I’ve used almost exclusively windows 7 pro embedded 64bit and it’s worked great. I have 20+ PC’s running that way. Occasional Opto OPC server crash but I think that happens on all OS’s if I recall correctly.

We have used Tequar Panel Mount Computer TP-2945-15 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with touch screen with good results. They have two USB and 2 Ethernet RJ45 ports for connecting to PAC-R1 or EB1 Ect and the second port for internet access. When you first activate Windows 10 Pro you the tablet mode screen and is a bit annoying so with download the Classic Shell Option which is much better to work with.