Camera login

How do I deal with video cameras that require logins? If I go to the camera and login in my browser, the groov gadget works fine until the session times out. (usually overnight)

Here is the url format that works in all browsers except IE and groov:

http://userid:password@<ipaddress>/media/cam0/still.jpg?res=max

I have seen some cameras like this, but have not used them in groov (it was years and years ago, BG, before groov).
Not sure I have any on hand to test.

Could you share the camera make and model?
I am seriously interested in this video/camera stuff and would like to look into it.

It’s an Avigilon camera. We have a full Avigilon DVR system. I have actually got all of the IP cameras to work, but we have some analog units hooked to encoders that should behave the same way, but for some reason don’t.

Camera info:

AVIGILON 4-Port H.264 Analog Video Encoder
[TABLE=“class: cell-padding-v”]
[TR=“class: first”]
[TD]Name: Packline Encoder[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Location: Control Tower[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE=“class: with-top-margin cell-padding-v”]
[TD]Part Number: ENC-4P-H264[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Serial Number: 1433584916[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Device UUID: 59024986-21b2-11e4-b7e6-a41f725f7f4f[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TD]Firmware Version: 2.2.0.36[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Build Number: 10438[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MAC Address: 00:18:85:08:ec:d4[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TD]Supported ONVIF Version(s): 1.02, 2.00[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

PDF instructions:
Access-the-RTSP-Stream-or-Latest-JPEG-Image-from-an-H-264-Camera-or-Encoder.pdf (5.35 KB)

Why doesn’t groov support rtsp streaming?

Still chewing on the first part of your message, but the last question I can have a crack at now…

Why doesn’t groov support rtsp streaming?

As mentioned in my blog about the groov Camera Gadget, (and [URL=“http://www.opto22.com/community/showthread.php?t=1208”]in another thread in here) the camera gadget is just a place holder for the camera image. groov does not do any decoding, it just displays the jpg from the camera at the nominated refresh rate.
Why just a place holder for an image?
Because the actual camera stream decoding needs to be handled by the browser, not groov.
Ok, so why don’t we do it?
Because of browser incompatibility.

Here is a nice post of one users experience on stackoverflow.
And another. (Take a moment to read the many suggestions).
Here is a nice overview from the Firefox devs. (Note their closing comment in the RTSP section “Using RTP with RTCP allows for adaptive streaming. This is not yet supported natively in most browsers”)

Keep in mind that we need ‘the solution’ to work not only on PC, Mac and Linux desktops, but also iOS, Android, and Windows mobile devices.

Long answer short. We looked at it. We tried it. We implemented the best solution for now.
We have not closed the case, our engineers check in frequently to see the state of play. As soon as there is a solution that supports the browsers and platforms that users use, we will be all over it.

FYI, nickvnlr, I noticed this camera you’re using supports ONVIF. In another thread, I figured out how to send a few SOAP packets to some ONVIF-capable cameras on our network. [U][B]Click here for details[/B][/U]. Handy for reading info and potentially doing some PTZ functions.