Alternative to the adapter cable for high density IO modules?

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the Opto SNAP system and automation control in general. As I become more familiar with the SNAP system and my machine in which I’m adding the SNAP system my imagination is taking off with all the sensors I can add and control I can support. This led me to look at the higher channel density modules and I was surprised (disappointed) to see the 16 and 32 channel modules require a cable. :frowning:

It’s not so much the cost (although it’s expensive) as the awkward nature of an intermediate adapter cable. Now I can’t simply route a wire to a screw terminal but instead I need to have a terminal block and make the connection there.

Have any of you found an alternate method to hook up to the high density modules? Is the female connector a standard connector that can be purchased?

If you use the 16 or 32 channel modules would you be willing to post a photo of your installation? Hopefully images of a clean install will encourage me and reduce the buzzkill I have right now.

Gudday,

Are you looking for a screw terminal, 16 or 32 of them, right on top of the HD module? (Just like the 2/4 channel modules?)
If so, interesting idea… not sure how you’d fit them, but interesting idea…

Regarding if the connector is a standard connector that can be purchased, the answer is yes.
Yes its standard and yes you can buy them.

Take a look at page 11 and page 13 of the High Density Digital Module Data Sheet.
On those pages, there is a section ‘Building your own wiring harness for a xx module’.
It has the Molex part numbers for the connector and the pins.

At the hospital, we ran the Opto cables from the HD modules to the screw terminals in the cabinets.
The field wiring was then terminated at that screw terminal strip.
(Most of our panels were made in the panel shop, so every SNAP module was wired back to this screw terminal strip, no matter what density or type).
The building field wiring was run back to the location of the panel and then fit off once the cabinet was installed.

So, it did not matter if it was HD or standard SNAP… In fact, it was quicker if it was HD because at least with that module, its just plug and go on one end.

Of course that’s just how we did it, there are a bunch of different ways, and one is probably no more right or efficient than the other.

Cheers.

Hi Ben,

I came looking for this post to answer my own question and am just seeing your response, I must of missed the reply notification.
Anyway, thanks for the response. I have since read the section in the data sheet about making your own connectors and have ordered the parts from DigiKey. I’m still not sure exactly how I will wire everything up, I have VERY limited space and it’s causing me to give more attention to this aspect of my install than I would like. Your method of running lines from module to terminal block and having field wiring connect at the terminal blocks is what I would like to do, I just don’t think I have the space for it.

A tip to anyone considering making their own harnesses with the Molex connectors: The ratcheting crimping tool are EXPENSIVE!